Saturday, December 1, 2007

Exercises in Futility: Explanation



I often suspect that the most daunting challenge for a writer to face is a blank page. Imagine, if you will, the limitless possibilities uncovered by the very existence of that blank page! There are so many stories, so many styles, so many words that can flow out on that page and rearrange history.

And yet, more often than not, nothing ever comes about of that page. It becomes another tossed out piece of garbage, and no one knows that it exists. Worse, no one cares if it exists.

I'm currenly enrolled in Fiction 1 at Brooklyn College. The course is a cakewalk for me, and I refuse to believe that I'm killing myself with my work schedule just for an easy A. My solution: I challenged myself. I've taken the weekly writing assignments and written a novel, each chapter corresponding to an exercise. The coherence is questionable, but sure enough, all the components of a story are there.

This piece, Exercises in Futility has been the most eye-opening and jaw-dropping writing experience I've encountered yet. I've been unashamedly honest and raw about everything I've written. That bitingly real look at my life makes me flinch, so I suspect it'll do the same for you.

No comments: