Sunday, December 2, 2007

Lying, Unintentionally

She asked me
if I got support from my family,
And without hesitation,
I nodded affirmatively.

My well-adjusted demeanor
couldn't help but hide
The feelings of worthlessness
that I kept bottled inside.

The truth is,
I was crying every night.
I was considering
giving up the fight for my life.

Despite all the good I was doing,
it just wasn't enough.
Mom and Dad call me a failure,
and I can't handle that stuff.

Back in the day, they were happy
to see me wishing on stars.
Now there's no time for fantasizing;
Family debt is off the charts.

None of my daydreaming
or imagination does any good.
And though I've risen to every challenge,
Whisper "Give up," and, believe me, I would.

When she asked about support from family,
I couldn't yet handle the truth.
That all along, I've been projecting positivity.
While reeling from trespasses against my youth.

1 comment:

SongDynasty said...

I'll never forget that conversation by the way.. when you're ready to have the scarier one, I'll be there. Regardless of what world, son.

Oh, and the spam verification gave me the scrambler of "ob-gyn."