Saturday, December 1, 2007

I Belong in the Creative End




Dear Penguin Group,

Thank you so much for hiring me as an intern. I have had the pleasure of working with admirable, dignified, and extremely intelligent and capable people at Penguin. Furthermore, I indeed learned a lot about the publishing industry, and even more about publicity and marketing than I'd previously known. My eight weeks with you were challenging and insightful, and I am thankful for that experience.

I now know that the business of selling books is run just like any other corporation, and that I was naive to aggrandize the nobility and artistry involved in the industry. At the end of the day, a career in publishing still boils down to pushing other peoples' writing instead of working on my own literary endeavors - and that idea is utterly depressing. I do not belong on the business side of literature.

Sincerely,
Maria Rubio

Intern for Putnam & Riverhead
Fall 2007

2 comments:

SongDynasty said...

im so glad you started this lol

Maria said...

thanks, love <3 at least I know I'll have one reader LOL