Monday, January 28, 2008

An Excuse to Visit Honduras

Back in elementary school, there were a few girls that I called my best friends. One of them was a cute brunette by the name of Berenice. She and I clicked off the bat in sixth grade, and we were inseperable. We hung out all the time, I played match maker between Berenice and my friend Kepler (who I "dated" much later - but I'll get to that story some other time), and she was consummately there for me. I'm talking about would-kick-someone's-ass-if-they-looked-at-me-wrong there for me.

After elementary school graduation, we kind of lost touch. I started hanging out with my present-day best friends, Dallas, Yvonne, and Ariane (and Pamela and Denise back then, too), and Berenice stopped calling me.

Well, fast forward to 2008. Twelve years have past since Berenice and I have seen each other. I still talk to Dallas, Yvonne and Ariane all the time. Kepler is married for the second time and a dad to a beautiful little girl. And social networking websites are the vice du jour.

So maybe that's why, a week or so ago, bored and unable to sleep, I decided to search for Berenice on Facebook - and I found her!

She's married and teaches English in her native Honduras - and I'm gonna visit her the first chance I get. Not just because I realized how much I missed her and because she offered to put me up for however long I stay, but because- Well, I mean, look:








Even if finding her wasn't an absolute breath of fresh air which reminded me of friendship back at its most simplest state, I'd be a fool for not taking her up on her offer. Right?

No comments: