Thursday, January 24, 2008

This might be it

I'm thinking I'm gonna take a break from blogging. Or maybe, the next time you log on, there will be half a dozen entries. No. Definitely the former. I feel like it'll be a while till I blog again. Too much going on...

I'll leave you with a snippet from last night: IF and I in Fort Greene, walking past a girl with whom I once shared a birthday celebration. I've mentioned to IF how said girl can irk the hell out of me with her idiotic statements - "There are no gay people in India," being my favorite one - and then charm me with her quick wit. Six months ago, I would've ran to her, professed my undying adoration, overwhelmed her with compliments. Last night, I gave her a head nod, and unflinchingly continued my talk about real estate and the gentrification of Brooklyn.

IF laughed at me and made a face. "What's that about?"

Without skipping a beat, I licked my lips, raised my eyebrows and shrugged. "I stay away from people who don't treat me the way I want to be treated," I said matter-of-factly.

IF laughed, no doubt remembering the book of influential phone numbers that I used to carry with me at all times. "What about networking? Power? The hustle?"

"Fuck networking. Fuck power. Fuck the hustle. It's all so fucking fake and shallow and ridiculous. I don't wanna be involved in any business, any social circle, any circumstance that obligates me to smile, wine and dine, get wined and dined, go through all that bullshit ass-kissing and unsubstantial communication."

"So no more networking, huh?"

I hesitated, flailing my arms while I scrunched my face. "Well... Maybe a little networking." I thought for a little bit while IF laughed, then motioned to cross the street, "Speaking of networking, one of my guys tells me there's a property a couple blocks away, and the owner's willing to slice off a chunk of her asking price if the bidder promises not to paint over any of the murals. I said to hell with that, who would want to keep crappy paintings on their walls..."

2 comments:

SongDynasty said...

""Fuck networking. Fuck power. Fuck the hustle. It's all so fucking fake and shallow and ridiculous. I don't wanna be involved in any business, any social circle, any circumstance that obligates me to smile, wine and dine, get wined and dined, go through all that bullshit ass-kissing and unsubstantial communication."

Amen.

You'll be terribly missed.

SongDynasty said...

Where did it go??? WHERE DID IT GO?

"I work around the clock to support my writing habit."

*looks under keyboard*

*frown*